Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Her Self








Sitha was bewildered to find a woman standing a few yards away from her." Who are you", Sitha asked. The woman came closer. Sitha was mystified to see her replica. The woman said "Do not ask me who I am, but ask yourself, you will get the answer. I am your self, Sitha. Do not be frightened of me. You always escaped me". 
Sitha was stuck to the root. " What do you mean that I always escaped you." 

"You never listened to your heart. You always glossed over your feelings. You lived with your sincerity, but failed miserably to live with your heart. You lived as a good daughter, wife, mother and a queen, but not as a woman you truly are. You always yielded to your circumstances. But it's time to wake up from the deep slumber and face the life as the woman you are"

Sitha was perplexed and said  " I do not understand"


" Close your eyes and remember the war that waged for you", the woman said.
Sitha closed her eyes. " What do you see now?, the woman asked.


Sitha could hear the battling swords, the neigh of the panicked horses, arrows being hurled in the air.


Sitha answered " I could see...I could see..."


The woman continued " Fix your eyes on the battle and tell me the face that you see.


Perplexed Sitha opened her eyes quickly for the image of Ravana struck her first.


Sitha murmured " Ravana...Ravana..."


The woman went on " This is Ravana, who abducted you, because he loves you. He abducted you to make you his queen. He abducted you for he coulnot live without you. Ravana did not last without you. He died for you. He ruined his kingdom for you. This is the same Ravana who pledged not to touch you, until he gain your consent. He could have given you back to save him and his empire. But he chose death, just  for you Sitha."


Tears welled in Sitha's eyes. She was keenly listening to her self. Sitha thought " Ram forsaken me to do his duty as a King. I was abandoned mercilessly in the forest. I was pregnant then. It was not enough to melt the King's heart. I was a queen, but lived with my children in the forest. Ram never had any suspicions about my fidelity. He knew it, but kept mum. He could have told the whole world of my loyalty, but preferred to remain quiet. Why? Is this the law and justice of the King.Why he chose to remain quiet. The subjects of Ayodhya believed their King, yet he never told them that his wife was devoid of any stigma. Did he really love me?. I was a good mother and wife. But was he a good husband?.  Why Ram? You could have saved me from the humiliation. You did not do it. You once asked for this sacrifice, but not again. Sitha would never go through this humiliation again. This will be the end of it".


Sitha opened her eyes. She was standing in the court of King Rama with whole Ayodhya watching. She looked in the eyes of Rama. She is Sitha, not ready to take any more humiliation. She looked above and prayed to her mother Earth to take her away from this entanglement and make her free. Tears rolling down her cheeks, she prayed and prayed until the earth split and there rose here mother seated in a throne.


Sitha said " Mother, take me away and make me free and let the mother earth not bear any humiliation committed against woman".


Mother earth stretched her hands, took her daughter in an embrace. They vanished into thick air.








THE END

1 comment:

Ekanthapadhikan said...

My sympathies go for Sitha too. I've asked the same questions about Ram. But somewhere along the lane, I get this feeling that I haven't understood the whole of Ramayana too well. Ravana is not someone to be hated. Neither is Ram someone to be kept in such high pedestals. Here is where the message of Gita makes more sense.

We in our lives are so caught in a web of rights and wrongs. We make emotional judgements almost all the time and we are always happy and proud about that. But is there anything like right or wrong in this world? Isn't dharma (duty) more important than emotions. I'm no one to argue in this context as I me-self am a very emotional being.

Rights, wrongs, do-s, don't-s... the list continues... Why can't we all live a much more simpler life. After all, it's not that difficult...