Thursday, December 16, 2010

Moral Policing

I am a teacher by profession. To be very precise, Communicative English teacher.I never wanted to be one but always ended up being one but never dressed like a teacher( the stereotypical figure with a saree and intelligent look). Yesterday, one of my student told straight away on my face that " You should be careful with your dress". I was shocked. 

Why?.... Because I was wearing a Kurta, which almost reached my knees , of course with a long sleeve and definitely with a jeans.I was properly covered from head to toe and why was he bothered about me. I should have asked him to mind his own business and should have resumed my class.But I took the wrong option, started bluffing. I told him "My parents liked them, usually they do all the shopping etc., etc...

He was sitting in a corner and I was crossing my legs and he said while I crossed my legs and also when I lifted my hands, something was not proper , may be he was hinting at the slits of my Kurta. I heard it ..I mean I bore it...Why?..May be, I was not expecting a sudden attack of that sort from my student who always looked innocent to me( though he is 25 years old). Why did he say such a thing. I am not being blind to the fact that there are people all around who loved moral policing.

But still....

8 comments:

SingleDatingMommy said...

Where I come from, that's not moral policing, that's just plain disrespect for someone in a position of authority. Next time, kick him out of the class. Ha!

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

What??

I can imagine how embarrassed you felt after that bad and inappropriate behaviour. I liked your answer to him.

Have a great Friday!
B xx

P.S. I love your new banner and profile picture! Wonderful!

WhisperingWriter said...

Man, people these days and their comments...

Priya Shankar said...

awwww. sorry! that's always annoying when people comment about what you wear.

I'm pretty surprised though. You were wearing a kurta with jeans!! There is NOTHING scandalous about that.

It seems kind of strange!

Shalet Jimmy said...

Thanks very much for all the comments...

orannia said...

I must confess to having to go and look up what a kurta looked like - I love learning new things :)

If you are this person's teacher, why does he feel it is acceptable to comment on your form of dress? If you are adhering to the dress code of the school you are in, I don't think it is his place to comment.

BTW, love the new decor :)

Haddock said...

I think it all boils down to the fact how a person is brought up, his/her family his/her surroundings his/her peer group. All these effects his/her look towards life in later stage.
This particular boy must have been bred with the outlook that a lady should be dressed in such and such a way etc etc.
I am sure he may never have been hugged in his life (especially by a female)
You can ask him and cross check this.

acp said...

i m just reading ur blog after a long....

feel sorry on wat happen to u....oh my god!! why all these strange things happen only to u...?

feel pity on that rat...

i feel kurta and jeans are the best dress for u... now things have changed...

kurtaye polum veruthe vidilla....