Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hey! Is this the solution you would offer

                                                    
I got a call yesterday and it was one of my colleague. I was surprised to see his call as it was past midnight. Usually, I do not entertain calls after eight provided it is of any emergency and I hardly do get any calls after half past eight. I was again surprised for he was just a good colleague and we got along well. But we were not friends. I picked up the call.

The moment I picked up, he said “ Shalet, please do apologize for this late call and I am a bit drunk too. If you do not mind, I would like to sing a song.”

Singing a song and that too in the middle of the night. But I could not say 'No' to him.

I said “ You are always welcome.” He also assured me that I would not regret for listening to him. He was absolutely right. He could sing beautifully and he sang with all his heart Kabhi Kabhi Mere dil mein khayal aatha hai Ke Jaise tujhko banaya gaya hai mere liye.( Often I think that you are made for me)

hmm....something brewing

When he finished his rendition I asked “ What's up? Second break up.”

He said “ Yes.”

There was nothing new this time. The girl dumped him, not because she did not love him but, because she had to succumb to her parents wishes. (Hey! I am not going to write what went wrong between them)

We talked and talked. But somehow I got a cue that he was running away from a lot of things. Though I did not want to poke my nose into other's affairs, out of sheer curiosity I asked “ What is actually bothering you?”

He opened up as if he wanted to make a clean breast of everything to somebody and It happened to be me.

His father died when he was just 11 years old. He was so close to his father. He was nothing without his father and his death was an utter shock for him. For many years, his was against his mother as he was made to believe by his relatives that his mother was the cause of his father's death. But when he came out that misconception, it was too late. He has grown too older and was not longer a child. But he was craving for caress and touch.

Though he is fond of his mother, he said “ I could not establish an emotional connection with her and that's how I fell for my first girl friend. I was never deprived of physical contact when I was with her. But it lasted only for three years.I did not care what sort of a girl was she. I always craved for 'touch' and she gave me that incessantly.” She dumped him for somebody.

But with this second girl, he shared a platonic relationship and his life had become topsy – turvy when she left her.

“ I need pampering and caressing. What should I do? I cannot lament all the time, when each one of us leave. I do not need a temporary umbrella but a permanent roof. But I don't give a damn about marriage,” he said.
I did not know what to say

“ You should go and get married to a girl who could love you and be with you all the time,” I said Though I was not sure I think he was quite convinced with my answer.

“ I am not employed. Who would marry such a guy,” he asked.

“ Hey! You resigned your job and I am sure you are going to land in good job. You will definitely get a wife,” I said. I did not have anything else to say.

Though he kept on saying that he did not believe in marriage,my instincts told me that “ Get married soon” was what he wanted to hear from me.That's why he accepted it without any further explanations and denials.

I really do not know whether I was right in my answer to him. But that was all I had to say.






6 comments:

Brahmin in Boston said...

I think what you told him was right. Sometimes, people just need reassurances rather than plain, cold facts. They need hope.

You gave that to him. You were a friend to him. :)

Shalet Jimmy said...

Thanks a lot....

Meera said...

as B-in-B correctly says, you did the right thing. No one can provide solutions for others...just show the direction. And even that is a responsibility...

Shalet Jimmy said...

Thanks a lot.....

Amal said...

"The right one ...."

arattupuzhakadhakal said...

i dont see any other answer ... guess its d ryt one