Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Long hair and bride grooms

-->


Hair Cut – This is something I usually resort to when I am too tensed or mired in depression.Thanks to my hair that grows too quickly. Otherwise I would have left with nothing but a head with little hair as depression is something that knocks me on my butt quite often.

So as usual, it knocked and I went to a nearest saloon to have a new hair cut. This time my hair has not grown too long. But my hair stylist was too adept in his profession that he made me look beautiful with a new hair cut.

This whole episode made me think of the situation that existed ten years back. My hair ( long and shiny)was the only salient feature I possessed. I had even admirers for my long thick hair which hung to my waist. But unfortunately, I loved short and neatly trimmed hair. Seven years back, things were different. I could not cut my hair for my parents believed that (though they never told me this fact indirectly) long hair can woo prospective grooms. It was not only my parents who nurtured this 'bull shit' idea, but the whole society (Kerala society) did ....No still does....


Longs hairs are maintained by the girls for their husbands.Why? No idea....ten years back, like every other naive Malayalee girl ( Kerala girl) I too used to think that may be there is something my future husband would like to do with my hair. But seasons have changed and I too realised that hair will be of little help in marital life. Acting on this revelation, seven years back I proclaimed my independence by cutting my hair without informing my parents.....

Now I am here experimenting different hair cuts and I truly believe that it has increased the number of admirers. ( Is that an exaggerated statement? Nay! I dont think so......

8 comments:

Bill the Butcher said...

Did you oil and braid the hair too, like all good virtuous South Indian women?

Sorry, couldn't resist that :/

I'll just say that go with what makes you feel better. Your own comfort and convenience trumps all other considerations as long as nobody else gets harmed.

Shalet Jimmy said...

I used to oil it and still does...:D..

Shalet Jimmy said...

I used to oil it and still does...:D..

Betty Manousos@ CUT and DRY said...

i love reading your posts.


indian women have got such a lovely dark, shiny and long hair.
love long hair!

and than you my friend for your kind get well wishes for my sister.
just wanted you to now how much i appreciate tehm.

big hugs!

Shalet Jimmy said...

Dear Betty,

Your posts always encouraged me to write. I always look forward to your comments and posts. Hope your sister is doing well....

JDC said...

My brother has curly red hair, he decided to grow it like shoulder length and now he is faced with the problem that the only thing people ever talk about him is his amazing red curly hair.

Aurindam Mukherjee said...

Long time! How have you been? :)

Sandeep Menon said...

Long hair to woo prospective Grooms...ha ha...so typically 'Mallu'. Time to tell the 'Mallu society' that times have changed so have priorities...
Good you proclaimed your independence..